Use case: Electrochemical hydrogen separation
Hydrogen can be separated from gas mixtures using membranes. Between 70 and 80% of the hydrogen in mixtures can be recovered by traditional methods. Celtec® technology can now isolate the remaining 20%.
Electrochemical hydrogen separation is suitable for a number of applications:
Steam methane reformers for hydrogen production
Today, hydrogen is mostly extracted from natural gas in steam reformers. The hydrogen is separated from the gas mixture by pressure swing adsorption and the remaining gas is used thermally. Celtec® technology now also allows the separation of the 20 to 30% of hydrogen that was previously unusable, increasing plant capacity and efficiency.
Hydrogen-containing gases are used in the manufacture of float glass or for surface treatment in the metal industry. These gases are subsequently burned and new hydrogen has to be supplied. Celtec® technology enables the hydrogen to be recovered from the waste gases and mixed back into the process gas.
More efficient chemical processes
The hydrogen generated in some chemical reactions must be removed to allow the reaction to proceed. It is difficult and expensive to separate small amounts of hydrogen using conventional methods. Celtec® technology can efficiently separate concentrations even of less than 20%, thus helping to increase the reaction yield.
Utilize natural gas pipeline grid
Green hydrogen can be injected into the existing natural gas pipelines, and decentrally separated again for fuel cells and industrial use.
1NOWGerman organization for hydrogen and fuel cell programs
2Canadian Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Associationcompiles global fuel cell news
3ZBT Duisburgdevelops and tests HT-PEMFC systems and hydrogen separation.
4ZSW Ulmdevelops HT-PEMFC systems
5Siqensdevelops hydrogen separation systems